AbstractA Swiss company is aiming to develop a small telescope for Earth Observation, targeting the small satellites segment and a wide range of observation applications. The company, which has a large experience of successful developments of miniaturized cameras for space missions, is willing to build a consortium to prepare an Eurostars proposal. In this frame, the company is looking for partners with experience in sensors, optics and calibration.
DetailsThe Swiss company core business is developing specific systems in the field of scientific instrumentation for space exploration. It is providing custom solutions to fulfill various imaging systems and control/processing units requirements by combining a system approach (electronics, optics, mechanics, software and test) with low mass, low power consumption and harsh environment as drivers, and a large experience in end-to-end developments. It has numerous successful involvements in various space missions.
The company has developed in the past miniaturized integrated cameras and optical head and they are now willing to develop a new generation of camera head to be integrated in a telescope. The goal is to obtain a telescope small in size and mass (2-3 kg) to be able to be embarked on small satellites, while providing attractive performances. Such a system would have a competitive advantage in terms of mass, cost and target market.
The steps of the development are:
- Refinements of specification for the different elements (electronics, sensor, optics, mechanics)
- Design, manufacturing and test of a breadboard/engineering model
- Design and manufacturing of a model for qualification
- Performance test, characterization and calibration of the qualification model
- Environmental tests of the qualification model
- Update of design for flight model manufacturing
The Swiss company is willing to be leader of the consortium, and submit an Eurostars proposal for the next call September 2012.
Technical Specifications / Specific technical requirements:
Deadline : 20.09.2012
2 years project
Global budget estimate: from 800 000 Euros to 1’200 000 Euros
The Swiss company is an innovation-oriented SME, willing to lead the project with its technical specifications.
The partners sought and their expected tasks:
- Industry or research organization with experience in the development of telescope optics, ideally for space application. Their tasks will be to design and manufacture the optical part of the telescope.
- Industry or research organization with experience in sensor development. Their tasks will be to provide a sensor for the camera system, preferably an APS (Advanced Photo System) sensor with an hermetic package compatible with the space environment
- Research organization with experience in calibration of imaging systems. Their task will be to perform the characterization and calibration of the system