AbstractA Swiss company is looking for expertise to develop a battery with high energy peak over a short period of time. The application is related to safety. Therefore, the battery has to be highly reliable and rechargeable 10 times over a period of 2 years. Operating temperatures are ranging from -20°C to 55 °C. Technical cooperation and/or manufacturing agreements will be considered. Small series of prototypes are needed.
DetailsA Swiss company is looking for a research laboratory or a company, able to develop and produce a rechargeable battery (Li-ion or other chemistry) to be used in a safety beacon. The safety system has to be highly reliable. When activated, the beacon’s transmitter will have to function only once but with high degree of reliability for at least 24 hours.
After each use, the battery is replaced. The battery is replaced in any cases after 2 years (by authorized after sales service).
The safety system has three modes of operation with needed specifications :
1) Standby mode.
This mode is activated most of the time. The consumption must be lower than 10uA.
2) Charge mode.
The battery has to be charged ideally at least every 3 months. About 10 charges will be enough for the whole product lifetime. Additional charge cycle is a plus.
3) Active mode.
In active mode, the system requires 1.6A during 440msec every 50sec and 25mA during 48sec with a duty cycle of 33%. This mode is critical, the system has to be able to transmit for at least 24 hours and this on the whole temperature range (-20°C - +55°C).
At -20°C, with existing products, the voltage drop is too high and the system does not work anymore, which is not acceptable.
Technical Specifications / Specific technical requirements:
Technical requirements :
- Cell volume: 37 x 32 x 5.2 mm3
- Capacity > 1 Ah
- Operating voltage: 2.5 to 4.2 V
- End of life (EOL) at 2.5V
- Minimum current 10uA
- Average current 25mA (during 48 msec, duty cycle 33%)
- Peak current 1.6A @4.2V , 2.7A @2.5V (during 440msec repeated every 50sec)
- Operating temperature -20°C to +55°C
- Battery cycle life about 10 charges.
- Battery lifetime: it will be replaced every 2 years.
- Cell connexion: 2 pads
- Overcurrent protection integrated in the cell
- 20 prototype pieces as soon as possible
- 100 pieces for qualification following prototypes
- Initial series of 1000 pieces in 2011
- Production perspective: Year 2: 3000 pieces, Year 3: 6000 pieces, Year 4: 10'000 pieces, then ramp up to around 20'000 pieces/year.