|Title of Profil||Valorisation of chrome tanned leather shavings and trimmings
08 ES 25E2 0J0Y
|Country of origin||Spain|
|Entry/Update||2008-10-31 / 2008-10-31|
|Status||This profile is expired! For further details, please contact your local EEN office. (2009-09-17) |
AbstractA Catalan technical centre based in Spain has developed a technology for the valorisation of chrome tanned leather shavings and trimmings to obtain hydrolysed protein and chrome liquor by chemical hydrolysis. The hydrolysis system is designed to obtain a good separation between sludge and liquid. They are looking for a further development of the process and materials or to license the procedure.
The tanning industry produces important quantities of solid waste, part of them are shavings and trimmings. The equivalent of approximately 10% of the weight of raw hides is removed as shavings and trimmings.
A simple chemical digestion is used to hydrolyse chrome-tanned leather allowing the separation of chrome as tanning liquor able to be re-used in leather tanning and a hydrolysed protein that can find employ in agriculture as follicular fertilizers.
A critical size of material availability is required to make the process economically viable, which is estimated in 10 to 20 metric tones per day at 50% humidity.
The innovative considerations are:
• The hydrolysis system is designed to obtain a good separation between sludge and liquid.
• The recovery of sludge to obtain a chalk with proteins to be applied as complementary fertilizer in agriculture.
• The recovery of sulphate chrome basic salt to be applied to the tannage of hides.
The main advantages of the procedure are:
• Valorisation of a chrome containing waste.
• Low investment.
• Simple process.
- Special chemicals, intermediates
- Tanned leather process/ Leather Technology
- Water Pollution / Treatment
- Recycling, Recovery
- Chemicals and Materials
- Speciality metals (including processes for working with metals)
- Water treatment equipment and waste disposal systems
Stage of development
Available for demonstration
Patent Rights (IPR)
- License Agreement
- Joint further development
- Technical consultancy
Partner Qualification criteria: Tanneries or tannery consortium producing wet blue shavings and trimmings to improve this waste management and valorise the material.
The technology is available for companies that may upgrade the management of the solid tannery waste by adding value to their by-products.
Tasks to be Performed by Partner: Further development of the process and materials,
and acceptance license and/or installation of the procedure.
Support Provided by the technical centre: The design and technical assistance for the equipment required and implementation are also offered.
Technical Centre/Technology transfer Centre
Org. Size: 11-50
We only react to expressions of interest in Swiss profiles and/or made by organisations based in Switzerland
Would you like to contact
- You are not based in Switzerland? You are not interested in a Swiss profiles?
Find your local access point on the Network website.
- This technology profile does not fit your requirements?
You are searching for a tailor made solution?
You are interested to promote your own technology profile?
=> Contact us now!
=> In short time we can find suitable partners